Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ten Thousand Hours

Recently for my 18th birthday my parents got me Macklemore&Ryan Lewis' new album The Heist. YES! I had listened to some of it online, but mostly just the singles I already knew. The first song on the album is called Ten Thousand Hours. Its a perfect opening to the album because Ben (Macklemore) is rapping about how much work he put into the album and how he can't believe he got this far. Well at one point he makes an artistic reference which perked my ears since we were in our art unit. It goes like this:
See, I observed Escher, I love Basquiat
I watched Keith Harring, you see I study art,
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint
The greats were great cause they paint a lot.

I thought this verse carried a powerful message about how artists were not just born with talent; they worked very hard to improve their skills and their art was their passion. Why else would you keep painting (or other art making)?
This was also really cool to me because I knew Escher and his awesome impossible structures, but I didn't know who Basquiat or Keith Harring were. I'm glad I did my research (wikipedia haha) and learned about them and their art. Basquiat's graffiti is unlike any of have ever seen. Harring was pretty cool too, I feel like I have seen his art somewhere before but I can't put my finger on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEr5H4E4r3I

No comments:

Post a Comment