Thursday, December 13, 2012

Anthem and The Island

File:The-island.jpg
I watched The Island for the first time with my parents when it came out in 2005. Then in 2010 I read Ayn Rand's Anthem for the first time for my Honors English class.
SO many similarities! Its funny though because I haven't read anywhere that The Island makes references to Anthem. There are other films its said to infringe like Parts: The Clonus Horror and The Penultimate Truth, but nothing about Anthem.
  • Both have a male lead who takes fancy in a blonde.
  • The society is closed off and carefully governed.
  • The inhabitants are assigned jobs.
  • The male starts wondering about what's outside the community
  • He explores places he shouldn't.
  • All people are given weird names that take away from personal uniqueness.
  • Both male leads escape the society with their hot blondes!
I love the book and I love the film. Comparing Anthem to The Island defintiely made reading it more fun. I also went out and bought the movie to watch it again.

File:Anthem.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment